Ted S. Warren / AP
- The new coronavirus has killed 41 Americans and infected another 1,700.
- A panel of experts at the University of California, San Francisco predicted that between 40% and 70% of Americans could become infected within the next 18 months, one internist attending the panel reported.
- Assuming a 1% mortality rate from the coronavirus, and 50% of the US population becoming infected, that means about 1.5 million Americans could die — that’s if no drug is found effective and made available.
- Accordingly, the panelists suggested “anyone over 60 stay at home unless it’s critical.”
- In February, disease modelers from the CDC suggested between 160 million and 214 million Americans could be infected, and as many as 1.7 million could die.